Friday, January 30, 2009

The Vow Of A Lifetime


May 22, 1982
In a little Baptist Church in Monticello, Kentucky
Pastor Don Strange Officiating
Condensed Version

Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God in Heaven, and into which holy estate these two persons present come now to be joined. Therefore if any man can shew any just cause, why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold his peace.

Will you take this woman to be thy wedded wife, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honour, and keep her, in sickness and in health; and forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?

And will you take this man to be thy wedded husband, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Will you love, honor, and obey him; keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?

What God hath joined together let not man put asunder.

Tonight I tearfully watched "Fireproof" ~ and it was a much needed reminder of what took place in my and Gordon's lives almost 27 years ago. Vows are very serious ~ and not to be taken for granted ~ come what may.

14 Thoughts On The Matter:

Anonymous said...

The couple in the movie that play the mom and dad grew up in my church and married. Dr. & Mrs. Harris Malcom. Growing up, he was very thin and they called him "Pretzel." It's so amazing to see how they have grown and changed and been such an inspiration to so many. Beautiful photos in tonight's post.

Pilar said...

For all I hear about that movie sounds like God is using it in a great way in marriages all over. I order the movie and the book "The love dare" and have to say I can't wait to get them.

Unknown said...

Amen! May you have many many more years of a "Fireproof" God honoring marriage! You are wonderful testimony to those who follow.

Deborah said...

I also plan to order the movie and book too.

bopeep said...

I am always happy to hear that a couple takes their vows and marriage seriously.
I am planning on seeing the movie too.
Prayers, Bo

Karin said...

Amen! Loved the old-time picture!

Susan B said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but hope to soon! I have heard that it is very good. Beautiful post!

Cindy said...

I loved Fireproof. I pray for the Lord to strengthen Christian marriages.

Abounding Treasures said...

Cathryn,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful wedding photo!

My husband and I just watched FIREPROOF last evening and know that the Lord is going to use it to bless couples all over the world.

It's a movie worth giving to anyone already married or pondering marriage, whether saved or unsaved, because the gospel is very clearly presented to yearning hearts!

Blessings!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I haven't seen it. My husband is not a Christian, and we rarely go to movies anyway, so I hope to rent it when it comes out for rental.

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Would you believe my wedding date is May 28th, 1982?
You have been on my heart lately, know that I am praying for you. God is in control. "Give it to Jesus". Words from my pastor. God bless you and your family.
Your sister in Christ,
Bren
PS My husband and I are planning to watch "Fireproof" soon.

Michele Williams said...

You are in my prayers my friend... great picture of the two of you! Blessings,
Michele

Marsha said...

I haven't seen the movie yet. It's on my must see soon list, though. I'm so glad it touched you deeply. I know that was the intent of the people that put it together.

Be blessed.

Humble wife said...

i just watched the movie the other night. It was incredible and I laughed and cried throughout!

I love the picture.
Jennifer