Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Avoid Footholds In Your Life

I love God's Word so much. I am thankful that He left His Words for us so that we could read them again and again and again. I have to admit that some books of the Bible are easier for me to read and understand than others. I Peter is one of my many favorites. Peter was writing to various churches in Asian Minor where Gentiles were experiencing religious persecution. In chapter 2 he writes about our duty in living a holy life.

Often I reiterate to my daughters the importance of living a holy life. We have to be so very careful about what we allow to enter our eyes and our ears as well as what we allow to leave our lips. Verse 11 of this chapter says "Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul." I've tried to pound this into my daughter's heads that if they allow even the slightest foothold satan will get into their lives and 'war against their soul.'

A foothold can come by watching something ungodly on TV or the internet. The TV has very few wholesome shows ~ unless you are watching old reruns of something. Sexual sin is woven through out many TV offerings ~ even the commercials. As for the internet, I've come to appreciate its abilities, and my "pat answer" to a question that I don't know the answer to is most often "google it". BUT it has tremendous capabilities of being a very dangerous device. I've seen many a man fall prey to the internet ~ more folk than I even care to think about.

Footholds can also come in what we listen to. Sometimes I hear lyrics to some songs I used to listen to back in the 70's and 80's and I'm embarrassed that I had even listened to them. And yet that doesn't compare to much of the music on the market today. Lyrics are laden with sex, filthy wording, and 'fleshly lusts.' I constantly monitor what my daughters are listening to ~ to make sure that they are not allowing a foothold for satan to get in.

Have you ever watched or listened to something that you knew you shouldn't have? I know I certainly have. At one point in my life I was addicted to soap operas for over 12 years. There are things in my mind that will be there for the rest of my life ~ things which warred against my soul when I was viewing them. I'm not proud of it ~ and I have paid a price for that sin ~ but it serves as a constant reminder to me to protect my "eye gates" and strive daily to only let those things enter that glorify God.

Folk, God calls us to be holy BECAUSE He is holy. We are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, A PECULIAR PEOPLE (I Peter 2:9a). We are simply strangers and pilgrims in this land ~ awaiting our Lord's return. Let's strive every moment to be holy ~ not just for our own sakes ~ but for others who are watching us live our lives. You maybe the only Christian someone knows.

7 Thoughts On The Matter:

Deborah said...

Amen! It's surprising how easily things can sneak back into our lives too.
We got rid of cable t.v a few years ago. Then my husband got rabbit ears for our little t.v. during the Olympics so we could watch....and the ears are still there.
Thanks for the reminder!

susansspace said...

So true, Cathryn!
I love the verse you quoted!
(1 Peter 2:9a).
It's just GREAT to have you back blogging again! I'll be checking back often!
Blessings,
Susan
P.S.I left you a note on my blog a few minutes ago..

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Cathryn,
Thank you so much for the sweet words you left in a comment on my blog! You are too kind! And Of course I DO remember you! I'm sorry that you have had so much drastic change in your life in the past few months. I will be back to read more on your blog soon. Am watching The Hiding Place with hubby and came in here while he was on the phone.
May God bless you!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Catherine,
Yes, I remember you! I haven't kept up very well with the other Christian bloggers, so I didn't realize you hadn't been posting.

Your post is timely for me. I just participated in some kind of study at the University of Nebraska. It was weird. One part of it involved looking at a variety of images, while connected to different sensors so they could measure my reactions. Some were politicians, gross things like vomit, and one explicit photo. (I decided not to type the word that goes in front of that, that starts with an "s".) Anyway, I have the opportunity to go back and earn more money doing it. At first, I was going to check that I didn't want to do it, then asked if I could decide not to do it if I checked that I would be interested in doing further testing. We were told we didn't have to keep looking at anything we didn't want to. They also asked questions about faith. I'm thinking I'm going to tell them I don't want to participate again.

I hope things are going well for you!

Shane and Kristy Davis said...

Hi Cathryn!
Good to see you blogging again:)
I'm so sorry for the things that you have gone through, may the Lord continue to strength and help you!
Your post is so true. We live in a different world. Even to drive around town or go to the mall, we are bombarded with wicked advertisements. I've been asking the Lord to show me ways to equip my children and our family. (Memorizing Scripture, talking about things at the appropriate time, not going to the mall unless it is absolutely necessary)I even turn around the magazines at Walmart. Why do they put them on the children's level? How we need His help!

Honeycombs said...

Praise God for the Peculiar people, I'm glad to be one. Great post, I love the book of Peter too and know exactly what you mean. Too many think the Christian walk is easy but we must strive each day to be holy and teach our children the same. Thank you for sharing.

Abounding Treasures said...

A timely, excellent post!!