Monday, June 7, 2010

Have You Ever Spoken Against God And Made Him Angry?

I have been saved for more than half my life and I don't know that I have ever thought too much about whether I had made God mad or not. I know I have saddened him with poor decisions and choices, but I just don't know that I have pondered on Him being "angry" with ~ much less feeling as if I have spoken against Him at any time. I certainly haven't equated myself with the Children of Israel who couldn't seem to be pleased no matter what God did for them.

As I was reading Psalm 78 this morning, I was reminded of some of those great and mighty things that God had done for the Children of Israel. God showed that mightiness ~ from the many plagues He "bestowed" upon Pharoah and his people ~ to the great miracles He performed again and again to provide and protect His chosen as they wandered aimlessly. Verses 19-22 say Yea, they spoke against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness? Behold he smote the rock, that the waters gushed out, and the streams overflowed, can he give bread also? Can he provide flesh for his people? Therefore the Lord heard this and was wroth; so a fire was kindled against Jacob and anger also came up against Israel. Because they believed not in God and trusted not in his salvation.

At that moment the Holy Spirit began to work upon my heart. With shame I remembered many wonderful blessings that had occurred over the past few months and still unbelief would say "But can God do this over here? Can God do that over there? I know He has moved in such a mighty way but is He gonna keep doing it? Is He going to take care of me and my girls? Is He going to provide for our needs? Indeed, with shame, I began to ponder how all of this doubting had made my Lord and Savior feel.

When we doubt God ~ for any reason ~ it is wrong and it is sin. I supposed that just made Him sad when I did that. And I do think that it saddens Him but the fact that He becomes angry with our unbelief just makes it all the more profound that we must avoid doubting. We must trust that He has His children's best interests at heart ~ no matter how black the storm clouds are ~ He is watching each step, each move, each moment and that is greater and more wonderful than anything any human can do for us here on earth. He has our back. I don't know about you but I don't want to hurt Him simply because the circumstances of life can ~ at times ~ loom pretty big before my eyes. For greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.

Oh Mighty and Gracious Heavenly Father,

Forgive me for my unbelief. Forgive me for complaining and doubting that you do have my best interest at heart. Forgive me for not believing that You've had my back the whole time.

3 Thoughts On The Matter:

Cindy said...

I just went through a season of doubt a couple of months ago. I was so upset with myself that I could let my circumstances influence me so much. I know He must have been so disappointed with me for wondering if He had forgotten me. I am so thankful that He never forgets us or gives up on us.

Anonymous said...

Mrs Glass,

that was excellent!!!! I had never thought about that before either. Very convicting!!!!!

Troy Mcgahan

Deborah said...

I think when our circumstances are so influenced by the actions of others, we can lose sight of the fact that God is still working in the midst of it all. A line from one of my favorite songs says, "When you can't see His hand,trust His heart." Thanks for reminding me!