Sunday, November 30, 2008

Stand Up For Jesus

Have you ever been in one of those situations where you knew you were going to "major-ly" kick yourself later if you didn’t speak up right then and there? Have you also found out there are going to be some folk ~ relatives included ~ that have made it quite clear that they don’t believe what you believe, they don’t want to believe what you believe, and would you please stop talking about what you believe?

This Thanksgiving weekend brought such a time for me. I was visiting with family and was half-way listening to a relative talk about something she had been reading on the internet in respect to land that the Jews are fighting for ~ something about Mesopotamia ~ wars ~ fighting over land was mentioned again ~ Abraham ~ and so on. (I really started listening at this point). She concluded by saying "They say the wars will continue until the end of time ~ and no one will really win the war over this disputed land. Everyone is just going to blow up anyway and no one will win."

I sat there for a moment and contemplated whether I should speak up or not. And then I quietly spoke and told her of God’s covenant with Abraham and how the land did belong to the Jews ~ how the battle would ultimately be won ~ and that everyone was not going to blow up. She was quiet for a moment and then said "I don’t believe that." I told her that it was clearly written about in God’s Word. She then said something that hurt my heart ~ "I don’t believe in the Bible completely ~ just parts of it are true ~ it is not literal." Now this is not "just" any relative ~ this is a relative that knows better. She was raised in the church ~ made a profession of faith at the age of 12 ~ she once professed that she believed in the Lord Jesus Christ. Years ago a "new age" colleague drew her away from the truth. Oh how far from the Lord she has come.

It’s possible that had this conversation taken place last Thanksgiving I might have not said a word. But this Thanksgiving was so different for me ~ I am tremendously thankful for God’s Word ~ more so than I have ever been in my life. It has been that light unto my path and a lamp unto my feet this past year. To hear someone I love ~ someone I know who knows the truth deep down in her heart ~ dispute the Word of God ~ to proclaim that it is not inspired but rather "written by a whole bunch of different men" ~ to say that portions are not real ~ that was hard for me. I told her to say that even one small part of the Bible was untrue meant that we could not proclaim that any of it was true. I tried to explain to her that it was inspired by God ~ that it has withstood the test of time ~ and for me to sit back and say nothing to her statements against the Holy Bible would be a tragedy against God. She looked at me and said, "Cathy, you’ll be alright" to which I replied "Yes, I know I will." And she concluded by saying "Hey, I know I’ll be alright."

I walked away from the conversation feeling so inadequate ~ as if I had failed. Yet God promises in His Word that He will give us what to say when we need it. Matthew 10:16 says Behold I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves; be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves. Verses 19-20 say But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak; for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

I know this ~ excluding my family ~ God’s Word is the GREATEST earthly treasure to me. I can’t live without it ~ now that I know what it is like to live with it. I had to stand up for it. Did my feelings of inadequacy and failure come from satan? I think so. Did I let the Holy Spirit speak through me? I pray so. People have died standing up for their faith ~ standing up for His Word ~ should we do any less? It isn't easy to take a stand. Plenty of times I have quietly stood by. I pray I will always speak up when God wants me to ~ and that I will say what the Holy Spirit gives me to say.

4 Thoughts On The Matter:

Sharon said...

Yes, I think most of us have gone through this very thing you are talking about. There have been times when I kept quiet and times I've spoken out. We need to remember the verses you quoted and KNOW that God's Holy Spirit will guide us.

Aliene said...

Can you believe something similiar happened to me just yesterday when I went to visit my Mom? Seems people have their own idea and don't have the Word to back it up.
But I'm glad you spoke up. I spoke up not long ago to a relative that said David was another Ben Laden. She hid in the mountains and killed all of Sauls posterity. I had to speak up and say that was not true. The Bible was on the end table and I picked it up. He did not want to hear. So I ask him if he believed the Bible. His reply was "Not all of it." My heart was grieved.

Karin said...

God bless you for your obedience for He gave you the courage to speak up. Sometimes He also gives you the conviction to say nothing, as the timing may not yet be right. Just trust His leading; He'll do the rest.

Thanks for your special comment on my blog. God is good! All the time!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Cathryn,
I have been off the computer a lot the last few days. Your speaking up was just right, and you quit before it turned into an argument.

Blessings,
Sue